Friday, September 16, 2011

Weekend 2

Instead of visiting the Veterans' Home this past weekend, I was presented the opportunity to appear at a couple of 11 September remembrance ceremonies and the dedication of the new Freedom Square located on the southern side of the armory with another Marine Option NROTC Midshipman. At the dedication, I was surprised by the turnout. several people attended to pay respect to the military and public service men who have fought, served, saved, and died as a result of the events of 11 September.

What surprised me the most was the sincerity of all attendees. Everyone knows that at a ceremony of remembrance, there's always those people that are there for the self obsessed reason of bragging rights; the kind of people that like to say they're nationalists or philanthropists because they attend a campaign dinner or a ceremony whenever it's convenient for them to do so. However that was not the case at this dedication. Here, Everyone was focused. Everyone was attentive. Everyone understood that even though this event happened ten years ago, its historical, cultural, and emotional significance will always be imprinted in our minds.

The more I though about how uncommon such a pure minded ceremony is, the thoughts became depressing. Of the hundreds of people I knew from back home and the some forty thousand plus students here, barely any even recognized what Sunday was. Even less paid some sort of respects.The thought that the majority of our population is so concerned with celebrities, parties, and what was said on twitter that even the thought of thinking outside of their own little social bubble - to concern themselves with anything that actually matters - would probably cause cardiac arrest. This is my problem with my generation.

Regardless of someone's perspective or opinion on the foreign events and interactions of the U.S., they need to realize that people died believing they were defending their nation and it's people. That is what matters.

1 comment:

  1. That is really neat that you got to be involved with something that will be considered a historic event and it is even better because you were not there for that reason. I must disagree with you for bashing the people who do come out for that reason though because personally I believe that it is better for them to be there regardless of the reason than for them not to be there at all. I will agree with you to an extent on the part about a lot of our generation not doing as much as they could for the things that really matter. I was one of those people who knew what Sunday was and knew of one of the remembrance ceremonies but let other things in my life take precedence over attending the event. Now after having read your entry I wish I had gone to one instead of just doing stuff in my dorm because it sounds like the one you went to was meaningful. I hope you can continue to volunteer at events that are just as meaningful to you in some way.

    ReplyDelete